At its core, sustainable development is an approach to development that looks to balance different needs with an awareness of the environmental, social, and economic limitations we face as a society. It’s about finding better ways to do things, both for the present and the future. And global consensus-based standards have an important role to play.
IEEE global standards support the three pillars of sustainability—economic, environmental, and social.
- They play a role in providing an open process that empowers people and organizations from around the world to innovate and take action.
- They support companies and communities in bringing to the market best practices and energy efficient products and processes that can help protect and conserve environmental resources.
- They provide global consensus-based solutions to issues.
- They contribute to policy initiatives and provide solutions needed to achieve many of the SDGs.
- Their implementation helps increase access to local and global markets.