This program is now closed
Optical Networks 2020 (ON2020) is a global association that drives innovative optical network solutions to better meet the optical networking demands in the cloud era towards year 2020 and beyond.
This IEEE Industry Connections (IC) activity aims to define new optical network requirements and specifications, develop general network technology roadmaps and evolution scenarios, and foster an open and sustainable ecosystem for end users, service providers, and equipment and component vendors to collectively address the optical networking demands in the cloud era. Freed from near-term thinking, competition, and looking beyond existing standardization efforts, the program will help to set longer-term goals and directions that the fiber-optic communications industry should be expected to work towards.
Exploration of This Activity May Include:
- Development of long-term industry visions beyond current product deployments and beyond concrete product roadmaps
- Developing commonly agreed-upon goals and directions that the fiber-optic communications industry should be expected to work towards
- Development of a plan for migration to an industry alliance
Participants in this activity may include but are not limited to:
- Optical networking system and component manufacturers
- Communications service providers
- Optical networking industry stakeholders and end users
Deliverables and outcomes from this Industry Connections activity may include:
- One or more white papers summarizing the developed vision and overall industry directions. Current activities cover the areas of T-SDN, ROADM/OXC, 5G-oriented optical networks, and next generation WDM and optical link technologies. In the medium term, these white paper(s) would be extended to encompass other aspects of optical networking
- Workshops and information sessions as part of the major optical communications in the US (OFC), Europe (ECOC) and Asia (ACP) – these are a continuation of previous workshops held at OFC and ECOC in 2016 and 2017