The proposed Industry Connections (IC) Activity seeks to inform the FAA UAS Research Office (AUS-300) of IEEE’s existing Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS)-relevant standards and standard development activities. This Activity shall help inform an active FAA/ASSURE UAS Center of Excellence research project, A37: UAS Standards Identification, Tracking, and Mapping, to track UAS standard development activities across many standard development organizations (SDOs) such as IEEE and identify anticipated needs for future FAA research support to enable additional standard development activities.
To meet this objective, the Activity members shall be representatives of IEEE’s standards development committees/working groups across its societies. The committee shall meet every other month to:
- Validate the set of IEEE standards tracked by the A37 research team (via spreadsheet) to confirm completeness and correctness ensuring all UAS-relevant IEEE standards are tracked, and
- Discuss new and forthcoming UAS standard development activities within IEEE, and
- Discuss research gaps impacting IEEE UAS standard development, which can potentially be resolved through FAA research,
- Prioritize research gaps based upon level of importance to IEEE’s success in timely delivery of its supported standards activity(ies), and
- Learn from the A37 research team about past, ongoing, and planned FAA/ASSURE research activities that could inform IEEE standards work.
The identified standards and research gaps shall be mapped to future UAS operational capabilities as defined in the FAA’s UAS Integration Research Plan (UIRP) and its publicly accessible “Integration to Civil Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS)” roadmap.
We welcome new participants from large and small corporations, academia, industry, and government agencies that are interested in the IEEE UAS Standards Tracking and Standards Development Related Research Needs Activity. Members will be composed of, but not limited to:
- Research institutes
- Government organizations
- Aircraft manufacturers
- Software manufacturers
- Supply chain and logistics companies
- UAS end-users
Deliverables and outcomes from Industry Connections Activities may include documents (e.g., white papers or reports), proposals for standards, conferences, workshops, etc. The deliverables of the IEEE UAS Standards Tracking and Standards Development Related Research Needs Activity will include:
- IEEE standard tracking spreadsheet
- IEEE research gap tracking spreadsheet (with gaps prioritized)
How to Participate
To join the IEEE UAS Standards Tracking and Standards Development Related Research Needs Activity, please express your interest by sending an inquiry to:
- ICAID (PDF)