Open source has changed the landscape of technology development, speeding innovation and enabling radical advancements in the way we live, work and communicate. It has also impacted the standards world, providing opportunities for dynamic new collaborations that can further advance and improve technology.
Aligned with IEEE’s mission, values and work, the IEEE SA Open Source platform helps raise the world’s standards through new communities of technology collaboration.
About IEEE SA Open
IEEE SA Open is:
- a comprehensive open source development platform that harnesses the power of familiar open source development tools with IEEE’s unparalleled member network, technical expertise and resources with a goal to accelerate innovation and enable technological advancements that positively impact the way people live, work, and communicate.
- a home to enable independent software developers, startups, projects, academia, foundations and industry organizations around the world to create, test, manage and deploy innovative projects in a collaborative, safe and responsible environment. IEEE SA Open aims to bridge the gap between global standards development, and open-source developer communities, accelerating the development and adoption of technical solutions aimed at benefiting society.
Key Features and Benefits
IEEE SA Open delivers the features you need to build and expand your project from the ground up. It’s secure, easy to get started and comes with a range of integrated capabilities and services including:
- Participation in IEEE SA Open is available to anyone
- Multiple models available based on user, community, project needs
- Use cases for standards and non-standards projects
- Get guidance and support, if you need it, from IEEE SA Open: Open Source Community Managers, helpdesk, and community members
- Connect with IEEE’s extensive network of Members, Societies, Standards Committees and Working Groups for collaboration
IEEE SA’s self-hosted GitLab combined with Mattermost and Pages allow for a trusted toolchain that will adapt and grow to meet the needs of our open source communities. Initial core functionality includes:
- Project planning and management features
- Source code management
- Testing, code quality, and continuous integration features
- Docker container registry and Kubernetes integration
- Application release and delivery features
- Integrated Mattermost chat forum w/slash commands; (Android and iPhone apps are fully supported)
- Capable of bridging the gap between Standards development and open source communities to allow for the advancement of nimble and creative technical solutions at a faster pace
- A safe open space with an enforced code of conduct
IEEE SA Open is neutral, available to anyone developing an open source project, free to all users, and able to support the growth and sustainability of open source communities. Increase your project’s visibility, drive adoption, and grow your community by making the IEEE SA Open the home for your next project.
Getting started is easy
- Step 1: Create an IEEE Account
- Step 2: Login, read & accept terms
- Step 3: Find and fork a project or start a new personal project
In the News
- IEEE Open: A New Option for Open Source
- Silona Bonewald Joins IEEE SA Open as First Executive Director
The IEEE SA Open launch announcement took place in Tel Aviv on 10 February 2020 receiving wide media coverage: