IEEE SA is building an ecosystem of interested stakeholders from across the globe in order to address some of the challenges and vulnerabilities that directly impact the wellness of people around the world through the create of the Healthcare and Life Sciences Practice.
One of Healthcare and Life Sciences (H&LS) Practice’s focus is to understand how technology innovations can help establish a technical foundation to enable immediate and effective response to public health emergencies like:
- natural disasters
- disease outbreaks
- climate change impact
- food sustainability
- food supply chain track & trace
while continuing to protect the privacy, security and physical and mental wellness of the individual.
- Open Source Design and Tracking for Effective Public Health Emergency Response
- Climate Impact on Food Sustainability, Security and Safety (PDF)
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Digital Therapeutics for Mental Health
Vaccine Passports and Databases: Privacy vs. Public Health
A UN High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (UNHLPF) IEEE session
8 July at 13:00-14:30 EDT
Must we exchange the right to travel for the right to privacy? The question of whether or not to require travelers to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or any other communicable disease looms large on many nations’ agendas. This is a pressing question as legislation is currently being formed by individual countries and national databases of who has and has not received the vaccine are under construction. It is unclear what the effects on people’s privacy will be. This session will foster discussion around possible paths forward, taking into account constraints on various stakeholders such as industry, governments, and individuals.
Moderator: Maria Palombini, Director of Emerging Communities & Opportunities Development, Global Business Strategy and Intelligence (GBSI) and the IEEE SA Healthcare and Life Sciences Practice Lead
Panelists: Dr. Dipak Kalra, European Institute for Innovation through Health Data Mr. JP Pollack, Commons Project, co-founder and the Chief Architect of The Commons Project
More about the United Nation’s High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development event.
- IEEE Standards for Responding to Global COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- IEEE Blockchain for Agriculture Forum — November 2018
- White Paper: Pandemics & Ethics: Can Contact Tracing Applications Address Both Effectively?
- Re-Think Health Podcast Series: “The Rise of Digital Therapeutics — Assessing the Standard of Quality”.